HomeWho & What Speaking The Radical Sabbatical Resources Fun Stuff Contact

Friday, January 28, 2011

Slaying Your Media-Dragons

The Kaiser Family Foundation recently came out with this study; Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8- to 18-Year-Olds. The Results were staggering.
  • Kids spend more than 7.5 hours with media—TV, iPods, and the Web, plus another two hours on their cell phones, per day.
  • Families communicate an average of 40 percent less when the television is on.
  • Heavy media users reported lower grades and happiness levels.
Slaying the media-dragons in our home is an ongoing battle. As the children have gotten older, we've gone from battling the TV to warring against cell phones, Facebook, and video games. (Not in that order!)
As the matriarch of our home it wasn’t long before I realized I was plugged in a lot, and when I looked around, it was clear we were battling a fire-spitting media-dragon—our television.

When I stopped to think about it, there were days I gave more of my undivided attention to it than any of my four children combined. It was my daily drug of choice, taking me to far-away places, allowing me to peek inside homes I prayed were more dysfunctional than ours, and taught me more about great white sharks than I cared to admit. Yes, I loved my TV. I couldn’t imagine living without it.

Unfortunately, what was originally created to add a small slice of entertainment, fast became the media bully on the block. With my full consent, I allowed it to take center stage and become the biggest time-stealer in our home.

We unplugged our television two-and-a-half years ago. It's been the best decision we've ever made. Sure, we still watch a family DVD together with a big bowl of popcorn, but the constant white noise is no longer distracting me from what's really important, my family.

Electronics were created to make life easier. Instead, they've become time-consuming beasts gobbling up any extra moment in our day. Since unplugging the kids are doing even better in school. Books are seen in the hands of my kids now, and their test scores are soaring. Have I mentioned the greatest advantage? Our home is once again a sanctuary from the storms of the world. Peace reigns once again.

How about you? What fire spitting media-dragon are you battling?


Unplug and kill it today.



Read Wall Street Journal article "Your BlackBerry or Your Wife?" and Yahoo News article "Unplugged Teens Find There is Life After Electronics" for more interesting stories about family's like yours who've unplugged.


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah lots of media vying for our time. I just finished filing my mom's last tax return online... blah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Pray for me, please. My husband wants to turn the TV back on (he is a truck driver and gone 5 days a week...I know, right?). It is so true; TV will interfere with homeschooling my 5 kids. I want to be submissive, but I do not want to give ground. "Entertainment is the devil's substitute for Joy, the less joy of the Lord you have the more entertainment you need." -Leonard Ravenhill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawna,

    Hang in there. Maybe you and your husband can come to an agreement of some kind. TV only when the kids are in bed, or something like that.

    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome for you that you did that! When we raised our daughter, the TV remained off all week long while she was in school. It made her play more, study better and we were together as a family. Recently, a young father complained to me that his sons didn't want to play any sports. This is a dad who grew up playing with all the kids in church--basketball, soccer etc. He said all his boys wanted to do was play video games.
    Ok, it was all I could do not to say well, duh? Take away the games. Who's the parent and what values do you want to instill?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My media dragon is Starfall. It's a great (and educational) reading and math site for kids... but my five-year-old is OBSESSED and I dont' want him on it all day. He asks like 15 times a day. Anyway, I wish I had never introduced him because I feel like he could learn so much more playing outside or reading books or hanging out with me... but he knows about it. And, my husband thinks it's okay since it's "educational" *sigh* I just need to limit it.

    ReplyDelete