HomeWho & What Speaking The Radical Sabbatical Resources Fun Stuff Contact

Monday, November 22, 2010

Advent Season - Jotham's Journey


Did you know Advent season begins this coming Sunday?  It falls every year on the first Sunday following Thanksgiving. If you have no idea what Advent is, or need a refresher course—click here: The Christmas Advent Season.

Did you know each color of the candles in an Advent wreath represent something different? Does your family pay attention to this part of the Christmas season?

We didn’t.

Sure, we've heard a few teachings from pastors over the years, but we've never been inspired to do anything more. This year, our pastor shared how his family of six recognizes the coming birth of Christ and celebrates the beginning of a new Church year in his own home.

We were inspired.

They say, imitation is the biggest form of flattery. So, we’ll be Advent copy-cats this year and follow his family’s lead. I thought I’d share what we're doing with all of you, just in case you feel the desire, like our family, to create a new family tradition and make this Christmas season even more God- honoring.

Beginning this Sunday, we will light a candle and read nightly devotions from the children’s book, Jotham’s Journey. I've included an excerpt below:



Over and over Jotham screamed for his family, but there was no one to hear him. They had vanished. He was alone. Where had they gone? How long ago had they left? Through quick, stabbing sobs Jotham told himself, "I must look for my family, I must search until I find them." And so his journey begins. In this widely popular, exciting story for the Advent season, readers follow ten-year-old Jotham across Israel as he searches for his family. Though he faces thieves, robbers, and kidnappers, Jotham also encounters the wise men, shepherds, and innkeepers until at last he finds his way to the Savior born in Bethlehem.

Written as a devotional for parents to read to their children during Advent, Jotham's Journey unfolds day by day until the exciting climax on Christmas Day. Each day's installment of the story is followed by a short devotional which will challenge your family to share in Jotham's discoveries.

Recommended for ages 4 and up.


Softcover, 168 pages, with introductory notes and ideas for celebrating Advent


Head over here and get your own copy of Jotham's Journey today. There's still time!


Does your family celebrate the Advent season?


2 comments:

  1. Yes, we do. I have a book of devotions, but might look into this new one. Last year, I came across Ann Voskamp's post about her son's making advent/Easter wreaths for purchase. Here's the link... http://adventtolenttoascensionwreath.blogspot.com/

    I ordered one and received it back in the summer. I need to now find it and use it starting on Sunday. Thanks for the reminder. Truly, I don't know if this will be the "skipping Christmas" (i.e. The Kranks) for me this year, but I will endeavor to make sure I don't miss Jesus.

    Love you, friend. May this Thanksgiving week be filled with precious reminders of how much you are loved, appreciated, and needed in this world!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome...I was so excited when Matt and Brooke came home with that book on Sunday! I'm looking forward to sharing it as a family!

    ReplyDelete