HomeWho & What Speaking The Radical Sabbatical Resources Fun Stuff Contact

Monday, October 18, 2010

Teenagers & Cell Phones

At a restaurant this weekend, I couldn’t help but notice the family at the table beside ours. While mom and dad talked with their young son; their teenager furiously tapped away at her cell phone—texting. Their daughter was no part of the dinner conversation; her focus was on the credit card-sized electronic device in her hand.

“Kids spend more than 7.5 hours a day with media—TV, iPods, and the Web—plus another two hours on their cell phones...heavy media users reported lower grades and happiness levels.” According to a study by the Kaiser Family Foundation.

My husband and I love slaying the media giants in our home. The cell phone is one of the easiest to kill, in our opinion. We aren’t victim to the media feeding frenzy of this generation—because we know as parents, we hold all the cards.

“Mom, can I get a cell phone?” our oldest daughter came home one day and asked. At fifteen years old, I didn’t understand her need for one. I completely understood her want, but not her need.

“Why do you want one?” I asked.

“Everyone has one Mom. I’m the only teenager on the face of the earth who doesn’t have a cell phone. It’s embarrassing.” She whined.

My daughter didn’t realize I’d used the everyone-has-one logic twenty-five years earlier when I’d asked my parents for a Sony walkman, acid wash jeans and my very own pager.

As she rambled off the reasons why she believed she needed a cell phone, I had a flashback; standing in my childhood kitchen debating my Mother.

“But, Mom, I need a pager. Everyone has a pager. I’m the only teenager on the face of the earth that doesn’t’ have a pager. It’s embarrassing.” I whined and brushed aside my big 80’s hair for emphasis.

“Are you a heart surgeon? Does the hospital need to page you for surgery?” She asked.

“No.” I huffed.

“Then you don’t need a pager. You want one. A need is not a want.” She reminded me.

My Mom’s words haunted me now. “Meghan, you don’t need a cell phone. You want one. Who do you need to call, you’re stock broker?” I asked, using the same genetic wit passed down from generations of mothers before me.

Paul and I knew cell phones weren’t going away. Eventually, we’d need to address this electronic device. We reminded each other it is okay to say no to our child every once in awhile. Once our children were driving and had their own part-time job income, we addressed the cell phone situation again. This time we came up with a few family rules.


We Don’t Buy Cell Phones For Our Children – If our kids want a cell phone, they must have the financial ability to purchase one for themselves. We bless our children by allowing them to use our family plan. This means they pay for their cell phone and their monthly service fee—which means for us; cell phones don’t come on the scene until our kids have a part-time job.

Cell Phones Not Allowed – We have a “seen and not heard” rule when it comes to cell phones. We love to see our teen- we refuse to see their cell phone. When our teen comes home from school, their cell phone is put away in their purse or in their bedroom. If I hear it going off, it’s mine. This means there are no cell phones at the dinner table, in the car, or while visiting at their grandma’s house, ever. We’ve taught our kids it is incredibly rude to have a cell phone bully its way into a family moment by a chirp, whistle or jingle.

Operating Hours – We discovered through our first teenager; cell phones come to life when everyone goes to bed. After three days with her first cell phone, we realized our oldest child was addicted to her phone—we were sure of it. Like a crack addict, she couldn’t be without it. While she figured out how to handle this new toy, we asked her to put her phone to bed in our room at night. That way, we knew our teen wasn’t going to be interrupted by a text from a girlfriend at 11pm. It’s amazing how young adults are electronic wizards, yet are unable to find the “off” button. And, surprisingly, just like an addiction, stopping cell phone use cold-turkey is a great way to curb a bad habbit.

Your Cell Phone is My Cell Phone – If our child has a problem controlling their calls or texting habits, we have no problem taking it from them. It’s a great disciplinary tool. And, one we only needed to follow-thru one or two times to work well. If our child reminds us, “You can’t take my phone. I bought that phone and pay for it myself!”

My husband reminds him or her, “Yes, and you have that great monthly service fee because you’re on our plan. Go ahead; try getting a plan on your own. Oh, that’s right; you have to be eighteen years old to sign up for a cell phone plan.”

Reality is a cold bucket of water on a teenage cell-phone-fire.


How about you? What are some of the boundaries your family created for cell phones?



6 comments:

  1. Yes, it's here too. I can barely stand the poor manners of fully grown adults on their cell phones, let alone a teenager who thinks they are smarter than I am just because I never had a cell phone at their age. From what I've seen, it is simply a cute little contraption meant to deceive people into believing they really, truly are loved and respected by a false community while separating them from the authentic community around them.

    Yes I have a cell phone, and so do my kids. It is the root of our discussions around the dinner table and in social situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want our kids to have cell phones so that I can keep contact with them. But it is a privilege, not a right.

    My friend is a teacher who tells her students that if she catches them using their cell phone in her class, she will change one number on one of their contacts, but not tell them who. That is a fate worse than death to them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you... my boys didn't have cell phones until they turned 16, had a job, and could pay their monthly end on the family plan. They're still on our plan even though in college, but I'm sure to make a withdrawal from each of their accounts at the first of the month. They're "adults" now, but it still annoys me how much they are tied to it. We've had no less than a few conversations about it.

    As for the younger ones, I plan on holding off until 16, but by then, who knows where technology will take us. My 8 year old daughter saved up her money (mostly from gramps) for over a year to buy herself a netbook. $300 bucks worth of computer. It was a stretch for us (honestly, I didn't think she could save enough) but she did, and we caved. We have a strong filter on her web-games and she can only use it for an hour per day in our presence.

    She loves to write... hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hated to squelch that inkling in her at such a young age. Mostly, she wants to be like her momma and will often sit beside me to type as I do.

    Enough rambling; I will say that parenting a second generation of kids is a bit harder for me. I tend to be more lenient. For example, I don't think I would have let my olders watch an episode of "Swamp People" to save my life. Now it's a favorite of the entire family.

    See? I'm losing it.

    Love you, and thanks for my card. Can you tell that my prednisone is in overdrive?

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have grand kids with cell phones and ipods. I see how whole families are disconnected even though they share a 'family plan'. There's always the good and the bad with any new technology. I love your rules - awesome!

    Before I started my blog last year, I wasn't connected. I did not have cable TV nor internet. I did have a cell phone with limited minutes. I was in bondage to those limited minutes. It kept me isolated - I didn't have a landline for 7 years.

    I realize how much more I accomplished when I was not connected. But at the same time - it was a life saver for me - a tool to stay connected in my otherwise isolated world. I have to ask myself what's really important in life - to be connected to those I love, even if it is through technology - or to die a slow death - unconnected - and accomplish many many things.

    I rethink this scenario at least every 3 months or so. I don't know what the answer is - I just know this is life TODAY. And technology is here to stay - and... it is very addictive. We are addictive people.

    As they say, Everything in moderation. Moderation must be practiced or we will lose ourselves and our children and grandchildren to technology.

    I need to stay connected to mine, and if technology is their tool - I must learn to communicate their language....in moderation :)

    Some kids are more prone to addictive behavior - you can recognize it immediately. I think you are on top of this. I love the way you think. I'm just glad we didn't even have pagers when I was raising my children. I wouldn't want to be raising a child in this day. Stay at it! You're doing a good thing.

    Good points
    patrina <")>><
    warrior bride in boots

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rules...and you are laying a great foundation for them for how to treat others....some cell users are so rude (and mostly they are teenagers). Loved the article and I bet there are a lot of moms who will enjoy reading that as their children approach that age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say your rules make good sense! My boys aren't teenagers yet. My oldest is 7 and he has already said he wants a cell phone! I told him and the rest of my boys that not until they are old enough to pay for their own (i.e. - old enough to have a job) would they be getting a cell phone. And, even then, it will be under very specific rules & guidelines.

    I should print your rules out and save them for future reference.

    ReplyDelete