HomeWho & What Speaking The Radical Sabbatical Resources Fun Stuff Contact

Monday, July 12, 2010

Faith and Fear are Mutually Exclusive

Our son David is in Australia. We put our fifteen year old son on a seventeen hour international flight, so he could walk through a door the Lord had clearly opened for him. He is experiencing three weeks on our dear friend's sheep ranch. He is in his element and having the time of his life.

For days before he left, I fought my fears.

As a parent, I struggle with mom-fears like everyone else; kidnappers, homicidal maniacs, drunk drivers, the list is long. A checklist of concerns play through my head before one of my children attempts to do anything or go anywhere.

As I allow my fears to play in my mind over and over again, like a broken record, these fears work a deep groove into the recesses of my innermost thoughts. Until, finally, they are what I think of first, before anything else, including God's word.

God's word says, Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. (Hebrews 11:1) Jesus said to his disciples, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. Matt. 8:26

Paul saw a chance for a hard-working lesson, "We won't help you fund this trip, son. The Lord has opened a door for you. You and He will have to work this out together."

Fear hoped he couldn't raise enough money. Faith desired my child to run through the Lord's wide open door.

On Wednesday, I will be throwing my arms around my son as he returns home from his trip. I'm grateful the grooves in my mind are slowly cutting a new path. God's word is the best for filling in the cracks in my wrong-thinking.

Faith and fear are mutually exclusive. Fear will forever hold my children back and keep them from all the Lord has for them. Faith must always be my first response.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear. 1John 4:18


8 comments:

  1. Fifteen year old boys can travel to Australia, fifteen year old girls can attempt to sail around the world, and eight year old boys can be kings of God's chosen people...you made the wise choice, Joanne...and I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that God lead you to make the right choice sweetie, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you! I don't know if I could have done it. Lovely new blog!!! I am grabbing your button. Have you seen my new look?

    Love!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a refreshing and timely read for me. I've had to do something similar very recently (the LPA conference) and it was a struggle for me to just let go. Thank goodness he wasn't getting on a plane alone but it was a big step for us nonetheless. This gives me some encouragement.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it when God proves Himself in big ways like this...letting go is such a hard lesson to learn, but so rewarding....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joanne! This is so true... thanks for the insight!! As a parent, it's so hard to remember these things!! Can't wait for your book. When is it being released?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found that you had this blog, had no idea!! By now you have said hello to your son and I am sure he had the time of his life! As you know I just got back from four months in Australia and that was a LONG trip. I couldn't imagine being 15. How great your son followed the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Those last two sentences hit me hard! I've always struggled with fear and since becoming a mom, fear is almost overwhelming at times. You've written a powerful truth here!

    ReplyDelete